Day 1 Assisi
- Meet your local guide for private walking tour of Assisi, the birthplace of Saint Francis and Italy’s famous pilgrimage site. Discover all the facets of the Old Town (Roman walls and medieval houses), including the Basilica of Santa Chiara, dedicated to the founder of the Order of Poor Ladies, and the papal Basilica of St. Francis, built between 1228 and 1253. Now home to the consecrated remains of the saint, the stunning monument is also said to have the best collection of art in any church of Italy, including frescoes and paintings by Cimabue, Giotto, Lorenzetti and more.
- Remainder of the day at leisure. Don’t miss a visit to the Hermitage, one of the most beautiful Franciscan sites.
- Complete your day by a marvellous genuine welcome dinner in a family run country house. Overnight.
- Included: Dinner
Day 2 Assisi – Bevagna – Assisi
Ballooning, Wine & Medieval Vibes
- Without doubt, mornings are the best time for hot air ballooning. The air is calm, fresh and the land is quiet. Being up in a balloon, drifting quietly is an almost spiritual experience! We bring you back for breakfast to Cantina Dionigi, just a stone’s throw away from our balloon base.
- The Dioginis are fourth generation wine makers who also know how to put on a great Umbrian style breakfast. If you are not opposed to drinking a bit of wine before midday, you may even like to sample some of their excellent wines although it is a rather decadent way to start the day…
- Following breakfast reach medieval Bevagna for a private guided walking tour and discover its ancient theatre, the temple, the forum (main square), the Roman baths and its mosaics. Return to Assisi and overnight.
- Included: Breakfast
Day 3 Assisi – Perugia – Assisi
- Today you will visit Perugia, Umbria’s largest town with its very extensive historic centre. Our guided tour includes a walk through the medieval ghost town built in to the foundations of the Papal castle, Palazzo dei Priori, the Collegio del Cambio with frescoes by Pietro Perugino, the Collegio della Mercanzia with a late 14 C wooden interior and the National Gallery of Umbria which hosts one of the richest collections in Italy with works of international renown. The impressive number and variety of artistic works housed in the museum range from paintings on wood, canvas and murals, to sculptures in wood and stone, to goldsmith's art and fabrics, which exemplify the artistic evolution in the territory between the 13th and 19th centuries.
- The afternoon is yours to explore the city as you please. Choose from the many culinary offers of Perugia and on request visit to a hand-weaving workshop.
- Return to Assisi and overnight.
- Included: Breakfast
Day 4 Assisi – Spoleto – Assisi
- Today enjoy an excursion to the stunning Spoleto. The town is presided over by a formidable medieval fortress and backed by the broad-shouldered Apennines. The Romans left their mark in the form of the grand arches of the Bridge of Towers and an amphitheatre; the Lombards made it the capital of their duchy in 570, building it high and mighty and leaving it with a parting gift of a Romanesque cathedral in the early 13th century.
- Meet your local guide for a walking tour which includes Spoleto's pretty pale-stone cathedral, originally built in the 11th century using huge blocks of salvaged stones from Roman buildings for its slender bell tower.
- Dinner in a local restaurant.
- Included: Breakfast & Dinner
Day 5 Eternal city of Rome -Imperial Rome
- Breakfast and departure.
- Arrival and free time for lunch.
- In the afternoon private guided walking tour of Imperial Rome including the Coliseum, the Roman Forum, the Pantheon, the Trevi Fountain and Piazza Navona with its beautiful neoclassical architecture. Free time for lunch.
- Farewell dinner in the Trastevere district and overnight.
- Included: Breakfast
Day 6 Arrivederci
✓ 5 nights in selected 4-star hotel (4 in Assisi and 1 in Rome,) with full breakfast
✓ Private guided visits with English speaking guides in Assisi (Basilica of San Francesco and Giotto
frescoes), Bevagna (Roman bath and mosaics), Perugia (Collegio del Cambio, Collegio della Mercanzia, National Gallery of Umbria), Spoleto and Rome (Coliseum, roman Forum); including all the entrance fees to the sites
✓ Dinner in a country house (Assisi)
✓ Hot air balloon experience
✓ Breakfast at the winery (Bevagna)
✓ Winery visit and light lunch (Bevagna)
✓ Dinner in a local restaurant (Spoleto)
✓ Tour by private chauffeured car for all transfers and excursions
***Tour can be combined either with Rome or Florence – 1 night pre-tour to be added
Discovering Italy - Umbria and Rome (5 Nights)
- Valid for 1 year from time of purchase
- Subject to availability